The Wireless Transmitter for Select Canon and Nikon DSLR Cameras from CamRanger allows you to wirelessly control your digital SLR and view and share images via your mobile device. Remotely access advanced features, functions and settings, such as live view, intervalometer, bulb mode for shutter, and HDR bracketing, in addition to photo capture, movie recording, shutter speed, aperture, white balance, ISO, metering mode, drive/shooting mode, image format, focus mode (Nikon only), focus stacking, auto exposure mode (Nikon only), exposure compensation, bracketing, and software autofocus toggle.
The CamRanger creates an ad-hoc Wi-Fi network to which an iOS or Android device or a Mac or Windows computer can connect. The free CamRanger iOS app then enables camera control without the need for a computer or existing Internet connection. The effective wireless range is 150′. The device is compatible with iOS 4.3 or later.
The provided USB cable charges the included rechargeable, replaceable lithium-ion battery and can also be used to power the device. Also supplied is an Ethernet cable for firmware upgrades. A protective case is included for storage and secure connection to a tripod, belt loop, or other attachment point.
The CamRanger requires the use of a separately available camera-specific USB cable for connection to select DSLRs. For a full list of compatible DSLRs, see the following:
Canon Camera Compatibility Chart
Nikon Camera Compatibility Chart
- Live View
- Stream live view images from the camera to your iPhone/ iPad/ iPod Touch (iOS 4.3 or later), Android device (Android 3.2 or later) or Mac OS 10.7/10.8 or Windows 7/8 computer. Double-tap screen to increase magnification. With the touch focus feature, you can tap once to focus on an area or make incremental focus adjustments. Additionally, perform focus stacking. Approximate frame rate is 8-18 fps, depending upon camera
- CamRanger App
- Share images wirelessly from within the CamRanger app on an iPad, iPhone or Android device to social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or flickr, as well as the option to wirelessly transfer to Dropbox and FTP servers.
- Images can also be emailed, sent as a text message, or printed wirelessly with compatible printers from within the app.
- Once the app is updated and the settings are configured, images can easily be shared with the press of a button.
- For commercial, group or portrait shots, the photographer can specify the folder to save images to within Dropbox and the FTP server.
- Selectively print images wirelessly during events or weddings.
- These features can be accessed while using other CamRanger features, including sharing to multiple devices and auto-saving to either the iOS photo library, an FTP server, or Dropbox.
- Take and View Pictures
- Wirelessly capture images in multiple drive modes. Thumbnails automatically appear on the top of your device’s screen after you capture a photo. Tap a thumbnail to view the image and its histogram and associated meta-data. Images are saved to your camera’s memory card and can also be transferred to your iOS device
- View Full Resolution
- Double-tap an image to view it in full resolution. CamRanger supports full-screen mode to maximize image size. Toggle among a variety of overlays, including AF points, highlight, shadow, grid lines, and aspect ratio
- Movie Recording
- Start and stop video capture and view it while you record. Perform focus adjustments and touch focusing
- Intervalometer and Bulb
- Configure the CamRanger as an intervalometer to take time-lapse pictures. Bulb mode is supported for specific shutter speeds. There’s no need for the iOS device to remain connected after the initial setup
- Wirelessly View and Set Camera Properties
- Control shutter speed, aperture, ISO, metering mode, metering mode, drive/shooting mode, image format, focus mode (Nikon only), auto exposure mode (Nikon only), exposure compensation and bracketing, and software autofocus toggle for switching between AF and MF.
- HDR / Advanced Bracketing
- Configure the CamRanger to capture a series of photos, automatically varying shutter speed, aperture or ISO. Images can then be combined via third-party post-processing software into a single exposure with greater dynamic range
- View Memory Card Contents
- See thumbnails of the images stored on your camera’s memory card. Select photos to be permanently deleted or download them and save them in the iOS photo library
- Macro Photography and Focus Stacking
- Great for macro work, when the extremely short focusing distance can increase the effects of camera shake; eliminate blur in your close-ups by remotely triggering the camera’s shutter, rather than pressing the shutter button. Also makes it easier to physically shoot in the awkward locations in which you commonly find yourself during macro shooting. Additionally, you can perform focus stacking to enhance depth of field (post-processing required). Focus stacking is bracketed focusing similar to HDR but designed for focal planes
- Studio Photography / Client Mode
- Switch to client mode to disable camera control on the iOS device. Shoot while holding the camera and simultaneously view images on your iOS device. This allows clients, directors and associates to quickly view the wirelessly-transferred shots after they’re captured. The CamRanger application also includes optional watermarks for viewing or saving on the image. Additionally, there is a rating system and comparison feature for the clients during the photo shoot. When working on a Mac or Windows computer, you can instantly import and view images in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom as you shoot them
- Compatibility with X-Rite’s Color Calibrator
- The CamRanger iOS app is compatible with X-Rite’s ColorTRUE, a color calibration tool used to accurately correct color. The CamRanger app can seamlessly access the ColorTRUE profile within the app, allowing you to view images with accuracy. If you like, you can select from a number of predefined environments, such as Outdoors and Office, to display images based on ambient light with greater accuracy. Easily toggle the ColorTRUE calibration on or off for each image from within the app. X-Rite devices supported with the iOS version of ColorTRUE include ColorMunki Smile, ColorMunki Display, i1Pro 2, and i1Display Pro
- Multi Camera Tethering
- Available via a free update, the CamRanger enables multi camera tethering where multiple cameras (each with a CamRanger) can all wireless tether to one computer (Mac or Windows) simultaneously