Exhibiting improved clarity, flatness, and reduced reflectivity, the 100 x 150mm Firecrest Ultra Soft Edge Graduated ND 1.2 Filter from Formatt-Hitech helps to balance the overall exposure within a high-contrast scene. Ideal for situations involving both bright and dark areas, such as an open sky and shadowed foreground, half of the filter has 1.2 neutral density and the other half is clear, with a soft-edged transition between the two that is ideally suited for use with medium and wide-angle lenses or when there is an uneven, undulating horizon. By reducing the exposure in selective areas, you are able to balance the overall exposure of the scene in order to gain detail in both bright and dark areas.
Designed using inspiration from their cine Firecrest filters, these Ultra filters receive an additional lapping and polishing process during production to ensure lower reflectivity and improved clarity and sharpness. This filter has also been optimized for use with digital sensors and promotes nearly flat attenuation of visible, UV, and infrared light. Due to imaging sensors’ greater susceptibility to infrared light, compared to traditional film, color casts can occur when photographing darker subjects that require increased exposure times. This filter provides a high level of neutrality across all three spectrums in order to eliminate color casts and ensure cleaner, truer blacks.
Applied to the outside of the Schott Superwite glass construction is a 15-layer Firecrest multi-coating, which helps to minimize reflections and flare in order to maintain truer colors and contrast. The multi-coating is also scratch-resistant and hydrophobic to benefit the overall durability of the filter. It measures 3.9 x 5.9″ / 100 x 150mm and is 0.08″ / 2mm-thick, making it compatible with the Formatt-Hitech 100mm Filter Holder.
- The Ultra Firecrest series filters exhibit greater clarity and have lower reflectivity than the original Firecrest filters. Borrowing from the range of Firecrest cine filters, the Ultra series filters undergo a secondary lapping and polishing process after the initial polishing and bonding stage. This additional step helps to ensure flatness and consistency for improved image quality.
- Graduated ND 1.2 filter for darkening skies and other bright areas of the image.
- Provides a 4-stop reduction in light in selective areas.
- Soft-edge transition is ideal for circumstances there is not a distinct line of separation between the bright and dark zones of the image.
- Vertical orientation filter’s line of transition runs parallel to the short side of the filter.
- Attenuates infrared light, as well as visible and UV wavelengths, to maintain color neutrality and suppress color casts due to increased exposure lengths.
- The 15-layer Firecrest coating has been applied directly to the outside of the filter glass by way of a vacuum-formed, hard-coated, electrolytic process. The multi-coating is water- and scratch-resistance for greater overall durability.
- Schott Superwite glass promotes maintained image clarity and its 2mm-thick design is compatible with the Formatt-Hitech 100mm Filter Holder.