Exhibiting improved clarity, flatness, and reduced reflectivity, the 100 x 100mm Firecrest Ultra ND 1.8 Filter from Formatt-Hitech is a solid neutral density filter providing a 6-stop reduction in exposure. This 1.8 density creates a darkening of the entire image, allowing you to photograph with a wider aperture or longer shutter speed than normally required. By slowing your exposure time or increasing your aperture, you can control depth of field and convey movement more easily. Designed using inspiration from their cine Firecrest filters, this Ultra line of filters receives an additional lapping and polishing process during production to ensure lower reflectivity and improved clarity and sharpness.
The design of this filter has been optimized for use with digital sensors and promotes nearly flat attenuation of visible, UV, and infrared light. Due to imaging sensors’ greater susceptibility to infrared light compared to traditional film, color casts can occur when photographing darker subjects that require increased exposure times. This filter provides a high level of neutrality across all three spectrums in order to eliminate color casts and ensure cleaner, truer blacks.
Applied to the outside of the Schott Superwite glass construction is a 15-layer Firecrest multi-coating, which helps to minimize reflections and flare in order to maintain truer colors and contrast. The multi-coating is also scratch-resistant and hydrophobic to benefit the overall durability of the filter. It measures 3.9 x 3.9″ / 100 x 100mm and is 0.08″ / 2mm-thick, making it compatible with the Formatt-Hitech 100mm Filter Holder.
- The Ultra series of Firecrest filters exhibit greater clarity and have lower reflectivity than the original Firecrest filters. Borrowing from the range of Firecrest cine filters, the Ultra series undergo a secondary lapping and polishing process after the initial polishing and bonding stage. This additional step helps to ensure flatness and consistency for improved image quality.
- ND 1.8 filter darkens the image, allowing you to photograph with a longer shutter speed or wider aperture than normally required.
- Providing a 6-stop exposure reduction, this filter allows you to control depth of field and convey movement more easily.
- It attenuates infrared light as well as visible and UV wavelengths to maintain color neutrality and suppress color casts due to increased exposure lengths.
- The 15-layer Firecrest coating has been applied directly to the outside of the filter glass by way of a vacuum-formed, hard-coated, electrolytic process. The multi-coating is water- and scratch-resistance for greater overall durability.
- Schott Superwite glass promotes maintained image clarity and its 2mm-thick design is compatible with the Formatt-Hitech 100mm Filter Holder.